Friday 4 July 2014

Explaining the meaning of a 'DVD Bang' (DVD Room) in the room itself.
And clips from Hiphopplays Show Vol. 44 Young Bloog Special.


DVD Rooms

In Korean, a DVD Room is called 'DVD Bang'. Basically a room to watch a DVD movie in. Just enter the place, pick a DVD from the shelves, hand it the the owner, pay around 15,000₩, he'll pop it in the DVD player and then show you to the viewing room. 
If you're watching a Korean movie, make sure to check the back of the DVD to see if it has English subtitles, and tell the owner to put on English subtitles.

During my time in Korea I've only been to 2 DVD rooms, one in Anam, and this one in Hyehwa - after unsucessfully being able to watch 'The 100 year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared', which was shown in Swedish in Korea. 

So in Korea, couples typically head to DVD rooms, not exactly to watch a DVD movie most of the time but to do stuff. Perhaps why there was a toilet roll in this room in Hyehwa. If not a DVD Room, to the motel. Or maybe a multi room (room where you can play video games, watch a DVD, etc). 
The Anam DVD room did not have toilet roll, but it did have a 'sofa' which was shaped like a bed - a sofa bed..? You basically lay on it like you would on a bed. And during the Winter they offer to heat it for you - they're electric! So it's not hard to do stuff in these darkened rooms!


Hiphopplaya Show Vol. 44 Young Blood Special

Basically, they lined up all the popular Khiphop rookies to this show: Nuksal, Legit Goons, Illinit, i11evn, Olltii, C Jamm, Giriboy, Loco, and Crush.
The rookies brough some more experienced (or new artists) onto the stage as well. As exemplified during Giriboy's performance where Swings just popped out of nowhere with Vasco!

Crush at Hiphopplaya Show
Before coming, I knew of all but Nuksal and Legit Goons. But I only listened to i11evn, Olltii, Giriboy, Loco, and Crush's music before.

I am in love with Crush's album - Crush On You. I basically sang most of 'Hug Me' when he performed it, sadly I somehow didn't manage to catch the performance on video. Couldn't remember if I accidentally deleted it, or decided to just not record it and enjoy the performance instad. Excuse my screams of glee when he does body rolls in the video. They're just simply beautiful.

Loco didn't have many tracks to perform. It felt a bit rushed. Luckily he rapped some songs with Crush near the end.

Seeing Giriboy in real life made me like him more, he's just adorable! I am usually against the bucket hat which seems to be trending amongst the Khiphop crowd in Korea, but on him - with polka dots, it makes him look like a kid! Especially with those thick framed glasses and huge dorky smile! Ok I'll shut up about him now.

Olltii. This boy had an great amount of confidence. A fan called him handsome, and he immediately replied with 'I know'. His rapping sounded very confident, strong, with a good flow.
Funnily, before the show started when me and my friend were lining up to get in (under the blistering sun), we saw him walking out of the venue looking at his phone, perhaps to head to the stores to grab something to drink or eat? It was windy, so it blew his blue shirt out of place. Whilst he tried to fix it coolly (is that even a word?) by extravagantly swishing it to the front with a twirl, and almost tripping, the wind blew again and pushed it further back. Me and my friend burst out laughing. But back then, I had no idea it was him. We only saw his back. Even if I knew it was him I would have still laughed.
Whilst on the train back to Anam, I double checked on his age since my friend asked, turns out he was born in 1996 - he was 18. I think I found out about his age like 2 years ago when he was 16, but I forgot how young he was. It's scary.

0 comments:

Post a Comment