Wednesday 10 July 2013

Enrolment

Deadline: 15th May 2013
Sent: 7th May 2013

On 22nd March I received an email from the SAO (Study Abroad Office) stating that I could begin my online application to Korea University on their website. I was also sent a pdf file of the KU fact sheet for 2013, which should be read very carefully for it is emphasised that an applicant must have personal health insurance in order to enrol.

The application required the following documents:
  1. Academic transcript (provided by UoL)
  2. Copy of passport 
  3. Statement of purpose (bullet points are fine)
  4. 1x passport-sized photo
  5. Certificate of health (downloadable form on application page)
The certificate of health and copy of health insurance can be sent at a later date after the application is done. If I can recall correctly, they give you a few weeks to send them the documents after you have received the acceptence package.

Health Insurance
At the time I only had travel insurance cover that was provided free of charge by my university. The insurance covered basic health emergencies which might not be enough. So I emailed the SAO in regards to this and they advised me to just send a summary sheet of the travel insurance, and if KU requested for a more full cover I should contact the SAO again so that they can arrange something for me.
Couple of months later, KU has not said anything about the health insurance. So I'm assuming travel insurance that covers emergency health costs should be alright.

Getting ready for my X-ray!
Health Certificate
The health certificate must be filled out by a GP who has all your health records (physical copies in UK), and be stamped. Because I registered with the health practice at Leeds when I first started university, they sent all my health records up to Leeds, meaning that it was futile to get the certificate done back at home.
In order to fill out the certificate a full medical must be done. Unfortunately GP's in England aren't usually paid to do medicals, therefore I had to pay £70 in order to book an appointment and get one done. Even my NHS H2 certificate for full help with health costs did not cover it. Upon booking an appointment I was given a test tube to store my urine in for the medical.
After having done my medical my GP advised me to do that chest X-ray rather than the tuberculin test, since I already had a TB jab it meant that the test would come up positive regardless. My GP didn't understand why I would need a chest X-ray when I was already seemingly healthy, but she agreed to it after I explained to her that KU required it. The GP referred me to another clinic in Leeds (Nuffield Health) in order to get the X-ray done.
After multiple phone calls and misunderstandings, Nuffield finally let me book an appointment with them to do an X-ray. The X-ray itself cost a further £40. I left the clinic with a CD that contained my X-ray results, and handed it to the health practice where my GP was so she could view the results and fill out the remaining part of my certificate.


Acceptence Letter
Received: 3rd June

The SAO was sent an admission package which contained:
  1. Letter of admission
  2. Certificate of admission (for Visa)
Once I had collected it I began to work on my visa...

0 comments:

Post a Comment