Friday 5 July 2013

Deadline (UoL): 16th November 2012

Korea University was the only Korea based university option out of all the other destinations available at my university (Unversity of Leeds). Plus, the partnership between the two universities started very recently, meaning that the ones from UoL going to KU for 2013-14 will be the first ever to go.
Unfortunately this meant that I had no real feedback forms to look at to decide whether KU was a good place to study at or not. My university offers files of completed feedback forms from previous study abroad students at the Study Abroad Office (SAO), so that prospectful students can look at them to see what other universities are like. The only feedback forms available for KU was the International Summer Campus which happened during Summer 2012, most of which had shown some fair amount of disappointment with the KU experience.

Due to the lack of feedback forms available it meant that I had to search online for KU study abroad blogs.
From what I've gathered, KU's module enrolment system is a bit unfair for it prioritises in getting all domestic students into their desired modules first before international students, meaning that there is little space left in certain modules for the latter and module enrolment can become competitive. Furthermore, the process was all done on paper not online, which I found bizarre. This therefore made the enrolment process long, stressful, and inconvenient. However, in early 2013 KU had opened an online module enrolment page in response to the complaints about the tedious paper-based enrolment procedure. I have also read this in either my fact sheet or KU handbook.

In order for me to pass my study abroad year I have to meet my university's requirement: two-thirds of my study per semester must be based on the area of my degree - my degree is New Media. Because we must take 4 modules per semester it meant that I had to take 3 modules per semester that belonged to the Media school.
So my priority was to check if I actually liked the modules taught at KU's media school, plus I had to check that they were taught in English. Luckily I liked at least a half of the English taught courses offered so this was an okay university to pick.

Because I really wanted to tack on an extra year of studies by going abroad, I chose 4 more destinations in case I didn't manage to get into KU. However, 3 of the remaining 4 choices were highly demanded (popular) universities, therefore it was unlikely that I would have got into them anyway since I have them as my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choice.

My choices were:
  1. Korea University
  2. University of Sydney
  3. University of New South Wales
  4. University of Toronto
  5. Carleton University
Sydney based universities were my prime back up purely because I wouldn't have to look for accommodation since I could stay at my relative's place. Additionally, Sydney and New South Wales both offered Korean studies based modules.
Canadian universities were picked because I've been to Vancouver before and I really like the spaciousness and huge houses (ha).

0 comments:

Post a Comment