Thursday 8 August 2013

After having heard of countless course registration horror stories at KU I was paranoid as hell when the time had come. Even though KU had changed the registration procedure from paper to online, to make things easier, there was still the issue of availability since spaces are limited.
Fortunately I managed to bag myself 4 media courses (confirmed), however I've been put on the waiting list for Beginner's Korean.

24th July: Preferred Courses
All students were sent an email that provided details on the course registration procedure.
We were given up till 5th August to generate a preferred courses list. When couses are added to the list the system will stimulate a timetable for you, showing you what your weekly schedule would look like if you took the courses.
I strongly recommend doing this before the actual course registration date purely because it makes registration a lot quicker and easier.

5th August: Course Registration
The registration page was set up about 20 minutes before the registration period (10am KST = 2am GMT). I was online a good 30 minutes before it all started, simply because I thought being online already would give me a better advantage. I also contemplated on connecting my laptop directly to my modem in case my router died on me halfway through the process. Told you I'm paranoid.
Anyway, when the time came I immediately hit the register button for 'Media and Social Change' because I really wanted to do that course. There was a waiting period due to the high amount of people online who were also regstering, so my request was queued for a good minute or two (there was a pop up box that pretty much counted down the time remaining for the wait). Once the time was up the course appeared in on the registered course list, 'status: confirmed' - meaning I got in!
Did the same for the rest of my modules: hit reg. button, wait a while, once added repeat.

My registered courses!
  • Beginner's Korean (waiting list)
  • New Media (confirmed)
  • Broadcasting and Film Criticsm (confirmed)
  • Consumer Behavious and Strategic Communication (confirmed)
  • Media and Social Change (confirmed)
Yes I did my best to avoid 9am starts and keep Fridays free!

If I do manage to get into Beginner's Korean I might ditch Broadcasting and Film Criticism during the add/drop courses week (first week of teaching). But it all really depends on if I like B&FC or not, so I'm going to attend the first lecture and see.

You have no idea how excited I am to do Media and Social Change as well as New Media!
At first I wasn't too interested in New Media, simply because the course content in previous semesters were pretty much the same as one of the modules I already done during my first year of university at Leeds. However, on the day before course registration when I revisted the course page, I noticed that the lecturer uploaded a course content file. I opened it to find that the content had changed it's focus onto mobile media! Perfect! So I went for it.

4 comments:

  1. Hello! Normally do you experience any difficulties for course registration whereby you don't get the courses you want since it had reached the class capacity? As I was reading different blogs about KU student exchange experience, people usually was frustrated at this factor.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      I haven't experienced any sort of difficulties whilst applying for my media classes during both semesters. During both times I made sure to have the class codes ready, be already logged on before the registration starts, and started registering from the moment the system went live.
      I recommend to register your most preferred class first then work you way down to the most least preferred.That way you are more likely to into a class that you like.

      In the case that the class had reached its capacity, make sure you're still waitlisted and attend the classes during the first week! During the first week there are bound to be people who would drop out, so space will be made. Otherwise, there are some profs out there who would be lenient on the international students and allow them to take their class with an override permission slip - you can get this from the One Stop Center.

      Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Hello!
      Thank you very much for the detailed instructions!
      It will definitely help me along my application~ ^^

      Delete